Wednesday, September 8, 2010

One Goal, Two Girls: One Sound, Two Videos

One Goal, Two Girls Born the Same Day:

Aggravated beyond belief with the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics (between the plastic and simplistic versions of culture and history and the hypocritical nationalistic pride mixed in with the utopian beliefs of humanity as one although those Ralph Lauren suits sure made the Americans look a lot better than the rest of them) I promised never to watch any world event ceremony ever again.

But I did. I don't remember much of the Soccer World Cup opening, except for how annoyingly catchy Shakira and the Black Eyed Peas songs were compared to how much more talented and beautiful the South African Guitarist was (that I obviously, as well as symbolically for how the world works, don't remember the name of) but I do remember watching a video on female literacy that made me cry.

Obviously it was one of those change the world type of videos that immediately inflicts a deep feeling of guilt on any sane person by amalgamating 'african' children, poverty, dirt and destiny. But somehow in this video - by organization One Goal - that contrivedness is surpassed. It's a particularly precious, meaningful and poignant little video.  

Finally, I just put Florence and The Machine into the equation.

Florence and The Machine, Dog Days Are Over: