Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Best Art Does Pop Culture and Pop Culture Does Art Moments of 2010

I wrote about the moments when pop icons and art stars, mass consumption and elite taste have collided in the best possible way in 2010 for Corduroy's blog. In addition to Takashi Murakami dressed up in a flower costume at New York’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, Koons claiming christmas lights his main influence for his BMW Art Car design, Douglas Coupland's disastrous Roots line, Björk and Marina being friendly at the MoMA and obviously James Franco, the editors edited out my favorite moment of 2011. So I thought I'd stress one more time how much I loved when Lady Gaga took Jana Sterbak's Vanitas: Flesh Dress for an Albino Anorectic of 1987, presently installed in the Pompidou Museum in Paris, to a whole new level by wearing a very poorly tailored rip off of the art work - a meat dress - to the MTV Music Video awards.